Monday, June 20, 2016

The Terrible Twos... At 14 Months?


Today we went over to see my mum and hang out at the house. Sophie knows who lives there and was so excited to see her Grandma! However, while they were reading together, I decided to join in. I put my head next to Sophie, gave her a kiss, and she pushed me away. Yup. My sweet little girl pushed me away. I was not invited to reading time with grandma. Ouch. Later, we went blueberry picking. Sophie LOVES blueberries! They are her favorite fruit, tied maybe with bananas. She loves them! But after blueberry picking we had a bit of a problem. Girl wouldn't share. I tried to take a blueberry from her bucket and she screamed at me! Full on screamed. My bad. The other morning, as I was making her eggs for breakfast, I gave her a bit of peanut butter on bread to tide her over until it was done. She threw it at me. Last night, I tried to read her Guess How Much I Love You to take a break from The Very Hungry Caterpilar and she smacked me in the face.


This tiny sweet girl has Opinions. With a capital O. And she is not shy about letting me know! Is it possible we have entered the terrible twos 10 months early?! We are already getting tantrums! Full on throw her head, arch her back, scream tantrums! She goes from the sweetest girl to yelling in a moments notice! Then as soon as I give her eggs, or read the right book, she's back to being my sweet angel baby. I even got in trouble for trying to dress her. Apparently, clothes are now optional in the Stapley house!


I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's not like I'm never stubborn... Or opinionated... I had this coming! And you know what? I love it! I'm proud of my girl for stating her opinion! For letting me know what she wants! She hasn't got the words right now to explain, but she still lets me know what she wants! Sure, it's not fun in the moment to have a piece of peanut buttery bread lobbed at your face, but you know what? I'm glad she's not a doormat. I'm glad she's loud. I'm glad she lets me know. She's gonna be a force to be reckoned with (send prayers!) and I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I love the respect you show Sophie! Seriously it speaks so well of your relationship and foundational communication that she knows she can to express herself to you so early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so nice! I feel very strongly that she should have control over her own choices and opinions as soon as she can express them. She may not be talking but she has ways to express what she wants, and I want to encourage that! Might take a bit longer but worth it in the long run.

      Delete